Job Description – Head Coach and Program Director (2018)
Position Title: Head Coach and Program Director
Club: Mariner Swim Club (MSC)
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Reports To: Board of Directors
The Mariner Swim Club (MSC) is a year-round USA Swimming competitive swim team offering high-quality professional coaching and technique instruction for all ages and abilities. As one of the premier USA swim clubs in Maryland, MSC prides itself on creating a positive environment and enriching experience for all members of the club with the goal to provide every member an opportunity to improve swimming skills and achieve success at his or her level of ability, from novice to elite-level competitor. The home pool for MSC is the Gilman School, a premiere K-12 independent school located in the Roland Park area of Baltimore, MD.
We are seeking a Head Coach and Program Director (“Head Coach”) to oversee all aspects of our competitive swim program, with direct coaching responsibilities. The overall objective of the position is to continue to guide and grow a USA swimming program that produces the highest attainable levels of competitive excellence in individual and team performance, while fostering a positive environment that fulfills MSC goals and vision. It is expected that the head coach will foster positive relationships, mentor as appropriate, and communicate well with their coaching staff, swim team members, swim team parents, the swim school director, and the Board of Directors. The Head Coach must develop the skills and talents of the team members and coaching staff while promoting teamwork, sportsmanship and encouraging personal development and excellence. The Head Coach will be expected to work in partnership with Gilman School staff, additional area pool management, Maryland Swimming and other stakeholders and further develop the team’s position as a leading program in Maryland.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the overall Head Coach and Competitive Director for the team’s competitive program, providing leadership and guidance to the team’s committee chairs and administrators.
- Develop the team’s training group structure, team policies
- Group structure includes 6 levels plus swim school.
- Manage day-to-day operating issues, including (but not limited to):
- Facilities procurement and management
- Recruiting of novice swimmers and swimmer retention
- Drive regular staff meetings
- Plan Team Practice Schedule and Meet Schedule, including team and coaches travel, meet entry assignments, and other meet administrative duties
- Primary coaching responsibility will be for the senior swim group, but other coaching assignments may be included
- Evaluate Training plans and goals for Swimmer Development for all athletes at all levels, including managing the planning of training cycles in conjunction with group lead coaches
- Plan and lead all‐member parent meetings (in accordance with bylaws and in coordination with the Board of Directors)
- Manage and delegate administrative duties
- Enforce Team and LSC Policy and Procedures
- Attend team Board of Directors meeting and provide monthly reports as to the status, policies and activities of the team and its staff
- Finance responsibilities including:
- Assist in preparation of an annual operating budget (to include coaches’ pay) with the team treasurer and administrative/business manager for Board approval.
- Implement and manage expenditures in accordance with approved budget.
- Review and gain Board approval for any required changes to budget.
- Communication responsibilities including but not limited to:
- board, swimmers, coaches, parents, LSC and public relations as well as delegation of communication in a timely fashion as appropriate for the situation
- Manage all hiring and personnel actions for competitive program and administrative staff including:
- Competitive program coaching staff
- Business Manager/Assistant Head Coach
- Swim School director
- Required to travel periodically with athletes to “away” meets
- Regularly required to walk, stand for long periods on the pool deck
- Required to maintain USA Swimming coach certification, including first aid and life-saving requirements
Mental Requirements, Attitude and Approach:
- Must possess VISION for MSC and excellent ability to communicate that vision through all levels of the club
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability in fostering teamwork.
- Interpersonal and communications skills to deal effectively with all levels of employees, club members, athletes, parents, Board of Directors and outside personnel.
- Great leadership skills for coaches and athletes
- Strong administrative skills
- Coaches for the right reason: bringing out the best in our swimmers, both as athletes and as individuals
- Drives team spirit
- Up-to-date on latest coaching techniques
- Strong understanding of overall balance of training and taper techniques, both in water and dry-land, for all age groups, abilities, specialties and body types
- Vision for appropriate balance of distance, sprint, technique and strength/conditioning work throughout the entire program.
- Ability and vision for coach training and development
- Ability to develop and implement a cohesive vision and coaching philosophy throughout the program, building swimmers from novice through senior levels
- Must be involved not only in the top age group, but ensuring consistency throughout the entire program with progressive age-group development
- Must have positive manner
- Encouraging athletes to strive for their personal best
- Approachable for athletes (and other club members including parents)
- Inspirational leader
- Driven & competitive
- Inspires and supports the athletes
- Even-handed and fair treatment of all athletes, regardless of ability or seniority level
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Qualifications:
- Proven experience in Swim Coaching in leadership positions
- A history of success coaching swimmers in a wide range of athletic ability
- Current USA Swimming Coaching Certification
- ASCA Level 2 Coaching Certification at a minimum
- Familiarity with Team Unify and Hytek products
- Experience with all administrative aspects of meet entry coordination for home and away meets
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field is a plus
- Must pass USA Swimming and MSC background check and drug test requirements
- Experience in the development, implementation, and execution of a comprehensive competitive swim program
- Proven team management skills
Interested candidates should submit resume to email@example.com