Longhorns Win 13th Men’s NCAA Title
By Reach for the Wall staff.
The Texas Longhorns, behind Jack Conger (Rockville, Md / Our Lady of Good Counsel), John Shebat (Oak Hill, Va / Oakton HS), Townley Haas (Richmond, Va. / Benedictine Prep), Grayson Campbell (Vienna, Va / James Madison HS), and Jeff Newkirk (Chesterfield, Va. / Matoaca HS), won its 13th NCAA team title (most all-time wins) and its 3rd straight NCAA title with 542 points.
The Cal Bears, led by Andrew Seliskar (McLean, Va / Thomas Jefferson HS), took 2nd with 349 points, and the Florida Gators, with help from Ben Lawless (Owings, Md / Northern HS), were 3rd with 294.5 points. Carsten Vissering (Bethesda, Md / Georgetown Prep HS) led his USC Trojans to 6th, Chase Kalisz (Bel Air, Md / Fallston HS) powered the Georgia Bulldogs to 8th, Brandon Fiala (Fairfax, Va / Westfield HS) carried Virginia Tech to a 22nd place finish, and Brennan Novak (Potomac, Md / Gonzaga College HS) helped guide Harvard to 27th.
Here are the final results from the meet.
In his last swim for the Longhorns, Conger won his 1st individual championship in the 200 Fly, setting U.S. Open and NCAA records with a time of 1:37.35. Shebat came within 0.49 seconds of beating Rio triple gold medalist, Ryan Murphy, in 200 back.
http:// Conger (2nd from left); Haas (2nd from right)
Schooling anchors Texas to the win at 2:45.39, an NCAA and U.S. Open record! #NCAASwimDive pic.twitter.com/lmSkfLH6uw
— Texas Men’sSwimDive (@TexasMSD) March 26, 2017
Below are swimmers and divers from the Washington D.C. metro area (or from Maryland or Virginia) who are competing in NCAA’s this week.
- 17th place – Ben Lawless (Univ. of Florida / Owings, Md / Northern HS)
- 20th place – Brennan Novak (Harvard Univ. / Potomac, Md / Gonzaga College HS)
- 2nd place – John Shebat (Univ. of Texas at Austin / Oak Hill, Va / Oakton HS)
- 9th place – Townley Haas (Univ. of Texas at Austin / Richmond, Va. / Benedictine Prep)
- 1st place – Jack Conger (Univ. of Texas at Austin / Rockville, Md / Our Lady of Good Counsel)
- 6th place – Andrew Seliskar (Univ. of California Berkeley / McLean, Va / Thomas Jefferson HS)
- DQ – Chase Kalisz (Univ. of Georgia / Bel Air, Md / Fallston HS)
400 Free Relay
- 1st place – Texas (Brett Ringgold, Jack Conger, Townley Haas, Joseph Schooling)
- 4th place – Cal Berkeley (Justin Lynch, Ryan Murphy, Andrew Seliskar, Michael Jensen)