Video and photos provided by Kevin Wagman
Friday night the PVS swimmers brought their spirit and speed. The battle for second place is tightening and with one day to go, New England is leading the way 198 points clear of second place Mid Atlantic, and PVS 11 points behind in 3rd! PVS is seeded well in tomorrow’s events- 50 Freestyle, 200 Breaststroke, 200 IM, 800 & 1500 Freestyle and 200 Medley Relays. I’m sure the coaches won’t have any trouble getting the kids motivated as the team competition concludes.
In the first two days, meet records were hard to come by. Wednesday, Thomas Heilman from VSI set the 10 & Under 100 Free record with a time of 1:03.19 and Thursday morning, the Middle Atlantic team took down the Boys 10 & Under 400 Medley Relay record going 4:59.67. Thursday night, the only other record was the 13-14 boys from Middle Atlantic who went 4:04.12 to set that age group’s 400 Medley Relay record.
In the 12 & Under session Friday afternoon, Emma Lantry from PVS didn’t get the record in the girls 10 & Under 100 Breaststroke, but dropped an amazing 2.62 seconds to go 1:19.99 and just miss the record of 1:19.69! The boys must have fed off that great swim because in their race, Charlie Greenwood from PVS set a new record with a time of 1:21.61, which smashed the previous record of 1:23.08 set in 2013. Also under the old standard was Federico Sanidad, going 1:22.24, which was a bit slower than his time at PVS Age Group Champs, but still swift enough for 2nd place! Completing the PVS 1-2-3 sweep, Wesley Lee touched the wall in 3rd with a time of 1:24.60. Keeping the roll going for PVS, Joyce Wu broke the Girls 11-12 50 Breastroke record with a time of 33.76! In the last event of the afternoon session, the 10 & Under Boys 400 Freestyle Relay had 3 teams under the meet record and the top 3 times were separated by a mere .37 seconds! The squad from Connecticut took top honors with a 4:30.90 and the PVS team was 2nd with the times of 4:31.24.
In Friday night’s Finals session, Jack Wadsworth from New England set a new meet record in the Boys 15-18 100 backstroke, with a time of 59.30. Joyce Wu got another shot at lowering her 50 Breastroke mark & she did just that, going a 33.50! Mac Marsh followed up with a valiant effort, swimming a 32.61, but was just short of breaking the the meet record of 32.59. The last record of the night went to the team from Metropolitan in the Boys 11-12 400 Free Relay, setting the mark at 3:55.42
Friday’s Top 8 Finishers for PVS:
- Boys 11-12 50 Butterfly: Kris Lawson (2nd)
- Girls 13-14 200 Butterfly: Natalie Martin (2nd), Clara Attar (5th), Sophie Elliott (8th)
- Girls 15-18 200 Butterfly: Natalie Champagne (1st), Megan Mastropaolo (4th)
- Boys 15-18 200 Butterfly: Frank Schweitzer (3rd), William Mullen (5th), William Lewis (6th)
- Girls 10 & Under 50 Backstroke: Charlie Scogna (3rd)
- Boys 10 & Under 50 Backstroke: Misha Kojanov (5th)
- Girls 13-14 100 Backstroke: Tatum Wall (2nd)
- Boys 13-14 100 Backstroke: Thomas Soh (7th)
- Girls 15-18 100 Backstroke: Kayla Graham (1st), Megan Mastropaolo (2nd), Natalie Champagne (7th)
- Girls 10 & Under 400 Freestyle: Charlie Scogna (3rd)
- Girls 11-12 400 Freestyle: Lauren West (1st), Courtney Watts (8th)
- Girls 13-14 400 Freestyle: Natalie Martin (6th)
- Boys 13-14 400 Freestyle: Cole Greenberg (4th), Sean Santos (5th)
- Girls 15-18 400 Freestyle: Sophie McKinley (4th)
- Girls 10 & Under 100 Breaststroke: Emma Lantry (1st), Maggie O’Shaughnessy (3rd), Krista Fleck (7th)
- Boys 10 & Under 100 Breaststroke: Charlie Greenwood (1st), Federico Sanidad (2nd), Wesley Lee (3rd)
- Girls 11-12 50 Breaststroke: Joyce Wu (1st)
- Boys 11-12 50 Breaststroke: Mac Marsh (1st)
- Boys 10&Under 400 Free Relay: 2nd, 8th
- Girls 11-12 400 Free Relay: 4th
- Boys 11-12 400 Free Relay: 3rd
- Boys 13-14 400 Free Relay: 6th
- Girls 15-18 400 Free Relay: 3rd, 5th
- Boys 15-18 400 Free Relay: 3rd, 7th
Follow the finale tomorrow online: Live Results
As depicted in the video below, the vibe on the pool deck is electric, with the teams making noise and showing their LSC pride.
PVS 10 & Under swimmers proudly displaying their Individual and Relay medals!