By: Reach for the Wall Staff
The weekend was very busy for every age group, high school and club team in the DMV. There were 2 meets for the mini’s, the private middle schools had their championship, the 14 & Unders competed at University of MD in the the IM Xtreme meet and every high school in the area had a meet whether it was a dual, Division, or League Championship. At every level there were impressive individual swims and team performances. We’ve uploaded and linked most of the results and will continue to post them as we get them. Two of the meets were covered by National media, The ISL Championships, won by Holton-Arms was written up by the Washington Post: “Holton-Arms swimming cruises to third consecutive ISL title” and SwimSwam covered the Concorde District with this story: “UVA commit Anna Keating swims 59.6 breaststroke at HS conference meet”
Given this was the first weekend of Championship meets, with three to four weeks to go, the level of competition and performances were stunning. We will generate the DMV top 16 times after this upcoming weekends’ Regional meets for VHSL, Divisional meets for Montgomery County and the WMPSSDL Championship. As we saw through the social media feeds, multiple team and district records were broken at the VHSL and ISL meets:
— WL Swim & Dive Team (@WLswim) January 26, 2019
Anna Keating just Lit the pool on FIRE 🔥 with her 100 Breast, beating her own District Record.
— MADISONSwim&Dive (@MAD_SwimDive) January 27, 2019
YHS Swim Team records broken @ Districts: Huske 200 free (twice), Soh 100 back (twice) and 200 fly (twice); Girls 200 free relay and Boys 400 free relay. Regionals Feb 1&2 @ Oakmar Rec 5:30 pm. @yhssports
— YHS Swim & Dive (@YHSSwimDive) January 27, 2019
— ISL SPORTS (@theislleague) January 25, 2019
— LB Swim & Dive (@LBswimdive) January 27, 2019
We also got to see some teams celebrate their streaks as Champion:
— Briar Woods Swimming (@bwhs_swim) January 27, 2019
Great meet! Our girls came in 2nd in the Patriot District Championship.
A big congratulations to our boys team… 2019 Conference Champions @WTWoodsonHS @Woodsonathletic pic.twitter.com/hZfglrlgOq— Woodson Swim & Dive (@WTWSwimDive) January 27, 2019
— RVHSRamsSwim (@RVHSRamsSwim) January 27, 2019
- 3 girls under 24 seconds in the 50 free: Alexandra Dicks (relay leadoff), Claire Mowery, Elizabeth Kuhlkin
- 3 girls under 1:50 in the 200 Free: Tori Huske (1:48.03), Erin Gemmell (middle school champs, 1:48.13!!), and Olivia Jubin (1:49.18)
- Anna Keating double win 200 IM (2:00.15) and 100 Breaststroke (59.65)
- Phoebe Bacon, double win in the 100 back (54.04) and 100 fly (53.60). Not shown in the results were her relay splits of 21.91 🔥 and 49.61 in the 200 and 400 Free Relays.
- Anthony Grimm double win in the 50 Free (20.22) and 100 Backstroke (47.08), his leadoff, 21.34 50 backstroke 🔥, in the 200 Medley Relay and his anchor split of 19.78 🔥 to win the 200 Free Relay.
- Daniel Gyenis double winner in the 200 free in 1:39.14 and the 500 free in 4:32.47. Also, a 21.50 leadoff in the 200 Free relay and 45.14 anchor in the 400 Free relay
- Sean Conway double win in the 200 IM (1:47.76), 100 Butterfly (50.00) and his leadoff in the 400 Free relay of 45.22!
We’re looking forward to seeing what’s to come these next few weeks!