By Reach for the Wall Staff
Elizabeth Beisel, a 3-time Olympian who competed in the 2008, 2012, and 2016 Games is set to take on her next swimming feat in honor of her father. In 1 week (window Sept 22-24), she will attempt to become the first woman to swim to Block Island (20km swim), a small island off the coast of her home state, Rhode Island. The idea was born after her Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer back in December and passed away this July.
The event details are posted on the Swim Across America Website , which also provides a link to donate to support Elizabeth and to follow her during her swim. As of today, she’s raised almost $120,000 toward her overall goal of $125,000. Here’s some of the details as published by Swim Across America:
THE CAUSE: Swim Across America is a national non-profit that runs swimming-related events throughout the country to support cancer research at the most highly recognized hospitals and institutions. To date, $100 million has been granted nationwide over the last 35 years and more than 100 Olympians have participated in SAA events.
THE SWIM: On September 22, 2021, Elizabeth Beisel (with the help of her incredible support staff) will attempt to be the first woman to swim the 20km (12.4 mile) route from Pt. Judith, RI to Block Island, RI. Elizabeth will adhere to Marathon Swimmers Federation rules throughout the entirety of her swim. The swim will be nonstop and unassisted.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT BLOCK CANCER?
- DONATE: Click on the ‘Donate‘ button to support Elizabeth and cancer research with Swim Across America.
- SWIM WITH ELIZABETH AT SWIM ACROSS AMERICA-RHODE ISLAND: You can join Elizabeth and Team Block Cancer to support local cancer research at Women and Infants Hospital at this year’s SAA-Rhode Island on September 11. Get registered today and swim with team captain Elizabeth at Roger Wheeler State Beach in Narragansett!
- BLOCK CANCER STORE: Every purchase at the Block Cancer Store will support Elizabeth’s efforts to fundraise for Swim Across America!
- COLLARS FOR THE CAUSE: Make a $40 donation and choose a collar for your dog or cat so they can style like Bentley! Contact Megan with questions.
- SPREAD THE WORD by sharing this page and inviting family and friends to support Block Cancer.
Further, we received an email reminder today from Elizabeth and provided below in its entirety:
Greetings and good vibes!
It’s been a while, but I’m back to share a really meaningful project with you. To get you up to speed, over the past few months I have started a fundraiser called Block Cancer. The idea was born after my Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer back in December. I wanted to use my swimming platform to raise money for cancer research and clinical trials, while also giving my dad something to look forward to during the months of intense treatments he was going to receive. In less than two weeks (new date within 3-day window from Sept 22-24), I will attempt to become the first woman to swim to Block Island (20km swim), a small island off the coast of my home state, Rhode Island. Sadly, on July 1st, my dad passed away from pancreatic cancer. But as we all know, the fight against cancer never stops. In my dad’s honor, a small Canadian company called FFO or “Far From Ordinary” made custom Olympic t-shirts with my Dad’s initials on the back. If you’d like to purchase one, rest easy knowing they are donating 100% of the proceeds back to Block Cancer. A donation and a cool shirt all in one. That’s a win-win.
Link to purchase: FFO Olympic Tee
Thank you for your support. It means the world to me, my family, and especially my Dad who is smiling from above knowing his fight will one day help save a life.
Let’s kick cancer’s butt.